Friday, September 22, 2006

The Almighty

About this “Almighty” stuff. Kris logged into LBQ with this moniker, and I’ve been laughing about it ever since. I’ve never asked him about his motivations, but I’m reasonably sure that I am having more fun with it than he expected.

I think there is a serious side to this nickname. In eastern philosophies, all beings are manifestations of God, so taking the name “the Almighty” is a simple statement of fact appropriate for anyone - Kris just beat the rest of us to it.

And of course, I’ve known enough religionists to know that the Almighty they claim to worship could walk right up to them and they would not even know – such is the self-assured sanctimony of expecting a bearded geezer in a white robe with a blinding aura. If he’s the Almighty, he could take any form. Even that of a modest man from Kent, Washington.

So I take a sort of perverse pleasure in using that sobriquet as a springboard for humor. Captioning a photo of Kris overlooking a magnificent scenic, “Yo! I made all this shit! Whaddya think? Pretty cool, huh?”

A predictable appeal for adulation from a god who is portrayed in the bible as insanely jealous, petty and insecure.

No comments: